www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Improperly Granted Patch
Date Thu, 19 Aug 2010 15:49:46 GMT
Hi,

We have a case in Lucene where someone has attached a patch (a long time ago) to a JIRA ticket
and checked the "Grant" button despite the fact that about 5 lines of it were derived from
some GPL code.  The code in question was never incorporated into the SVN base at any point
time, as far as we can tell.  (The author of the patch concurs).  Furthermore, the patch author
did track down the original author and that person says they are willing to provide the code
under the ASL, even though it was originally GPL.

In the grand scheme of things, I know it is almost trivial, but we thought we should check
in here.  My suggestion, pending any input here, is that the patch author simply delete the
patch w/ regrets.

Thanks,
Grant