www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Copy right notices.
Date Fri, 27 Aug 2010 21:18:48 GMT
On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 4:31 PM, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 2:04 PM, Yonik Seeley <yonik@apache.org> wrote:
>> So, perhaps first wait and see if Vishal can work it out with his
>> lawyers (since it does reflect best-practice).
>> If not, his exact words were:
>> """My company tells me that any contirubtion that I make to ZK needs
>> to have a line saying "Copyright [year of creation - year of last
>> modification] VMware, Inc. All Rights Reserved"""
>>
>> That does not prevent ZK committers from *moving* the copyright notice
>> to NOTICES when the contribution is committed, or any time in the
>> future.
>
> Actually, that is the topic of another FAQ:
>
> http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#faq-moveothercopyright
>
> I would like to strongly discourage this.

Is there a legal issue with doing so (I didn't think so)?  Or is it
out of courtesy... say someone is requesting that their copyright
notices be retained in the actual source files?

>> ZK could choose to refuse contributions with copyright notices, but it
>> would be a shame to miss out on contributions if no agreement can be
>> reached.
>
> Taking off my legal hat and putting on my board hat: it would concern
> me greatly if Hadoop Zookeeper routinely decided to put code over
> community.

I'm not sure it's that serious.  It look a while for both lucene and
solr to get around to removing their author tags - and I'm not sure
anyone ever viewed it as a big deal.
http://www.mail-archive.com/solr-dev@lucene.apache.org/msg04883.html

But I get your point too - it would be a pain if many companies
decided to get extra PR by asserting that their copyright notices be
added/retained (even if it's just to NOTICES).  Seems like it's still
best to strongly discourage (without outright prohibiting).

-Yonik