www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: License changes for Zeta (incubating)
Date Wed, 28 Jul 2010 18:06:46 GMT
On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 3:50 AM, Tobias Schlitt <tobias@schlitt.info> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm on fixing license headers and stuff for the Zeta Components project
> and want to re-confirm that I got everything right. The Zeta project has
> been developed under the hood of eZ Systems AS (http://ez.no) previously
> and code drop was signed last week.
>
> - From http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html I understand that we
> now process as follows:
>
> - - Remove all copyright notices from source files
> - - Add Apache License 2.0 header to every source file
> - - Add a NOTICE file that notices the copyright of eZ Systems
>
> Is that the correct procedure? Or do we need to follow the steps for
> "Treatment of Third-Party Works" and keep the current copyright info
> inside the source files?

Mostly, these types of questions are handled in the incubator.  As I
see it, the question comes down to whether eZ Systems is actively
participating (i.e., one of the first two parties), or if somebody
else (one of the first two parties) is committing (appropriately
licensed) code from eZ Systems without their knowledge or involvement
(i.e., as a third party).

In general, retention of statements of ownership is something the ASF
discourages but does not forbid.  In many cases, it has been found to
inhibit the formation of a community.  When possible, it is preferred
that such acknowledgements be moved, by the owners of the copyright,
to the NOTICE file.

> Thanks in advance,
> Toby
> - --