www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: Another (related) licensing question
Date Mon, 26 Jul 2010 18:08:57 GMT
On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 1:44 PM, Greg Brown <gkbrown@mac.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is sort of a follow-up to a question I posted the other day about using a GPL-licensed
Ant task in a sample build script:

> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/201007.mbox/%3c635CE8E0-1E08-45DE-B335-DCBD414AB3FF@mac.com%3e
>
> I would also like to create a few examples that demonstrate how to use other JVM languages
besides Java to create Pivot applications, including Groovy, JRuby, and Scala. Groovy shouldn't
be a problem since it is also ASL. However, JRuby is licensed under GPL, and Scala under EPFL
(http://www.scala-lang.org/node/146).

> As with the build script example, these examples would clearly state that they rely on
non-Apache licenses and would require the user to manually download and install the required
scripting engines. The code would not be used to build any part of the Pivot platform - it
would only serve as an example of how Pivot applications can be built using languages other
than Java. It is unlikely that the examples would be much more complex than "Hello World".

> However, I would like to store the source code for examples in Pivot's SVN repository
(under the "examples" project), if possible. Is there any issue in storing source code written
using languages whose engines have incompatible licenses, as long as the code and binaries
for the engines themselves are not stored in the ASF SVN or distributed with the platform?

Generally, languages are not a problem.  For example, despite our best
efforts, to date there are no certified versions of Java available
under a "category A" or "category B" licenses, yet the ASF contains
plenty of Java code, much of it predating Harmony.

C compilers tend to be either proprietary or GPL.

In fact, C# is one of the very few compiled languages that has a
compiler available under the MIT license.

In specific, JRuby and Scala do not represent a problem, be it in
example code or in mainline source code.

The reasons why these are not problems is that the licenses for the
runtime make allowances for code written in that language to be
distributed in the language of the user's choice.

Related thoughts can be found here:

  http://www.apache.org/legal/ramblings.html

> Thanks again,
> Greg