www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: Build script licensing question
Date Fri, 23 Jul 2010 00:23:05 GMT
On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 10:07 AM, Greg Brown <gkbrown@mac.com> wrote:
> Correct - JarBundler is an Ant task. The only reference to it would be in a build.xml
file. The target containing the task would be optional and would only function if the user
had installed the required JARs on the Ant classpath.

Just so there is closure, this is OK with me.

> Greg
>
> On Jul 21, 2010, at 11:34 AM, Henri Yandell wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 5:06 AM, Greg Brown <gkbrown@mac.com> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'm planning to build a sample application that demonstrates a variety of means
for distributing Pivot applications. The sample will include an Ant script that generates
the following:

>>> 1) A .war file containing the Pivot application deployed as an applet, using
the standard Ant <war> task.

>>> 2) A .zip file containing the application packaged as an executable JAR, using
the standard Ant <jar> and <zip> tasks.

>>> 3) An .exe file containing the application packaged as a Windows executable,
using the BSD-licened Launch4J Ant task:

>>>  http://launch4j.sourceforge.net/index.html
>>>
>>> I would also like to include an Ant target for the following:
>>>
>>> 4) A Mac OS X bundle for launching the application, packaged by the JarBundler
Ant task:

>>>  http://informagen.com/JarBundler/
>>>
>>> However, JarBundler is GPL. I am wondering if it is OK for my Ant script to reference
this task. Based on what I have read (http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html), it seems like
it might be OK:

>>> - The JarBundler libraries will not be stored in or distributed via ASF resources
- the user will have to obtain and install them manually.