www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Build script licensing question
Date Wed, 21 Jul 2010 15:34:15 GMT
On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 5:06 AM, Greg Brown <gkbrown@mac.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm planning to build a sample application that demonstrates a variety of means for distributing
Pivot applications. The sample will include an Ant script that generates the following:

> 1) A .war file containing the Pivot application deployed as an applet, using the standard
Ant <war> task.

> 2) A .zip file containing the application packaged as an executable JAR, using the standard
Ant <jar> and <zip> tasks.

> 3) An .exe file containing the application packaged as a Windows executable, using the
BSD-licened Launch4J Ant task:

>  http://launch4j.sourceforge.net/index.html
>
> I would also like to include an Ant target for the following:
>
> 4) A Mac OS X bundle for launching the application, packaged by the JarBundler Ant task:
>
>  http://informagen.com/JarBundler/
>
> However, JarBundler is GPL. I am wondering if it is OK for my Ant script to reference
this task. Based on what I have read (http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html), it seems like
it might be OK:

> - The JarBundler libraries will not be stored in or distributed via ASF resources - the
user will have to obtain and install them manually.

> - The OS X bundler task will be optional, and will clearly state that it relies on GPL-licensed
code.

> Can someone please confirm/deny if my understanding is correct?

Sounds doable.

JarBundle is an AntTask, the only usage of JarBundle would be a build.xml file?

Hen