www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gkbr...@mac.com>
Subject Build script licensing question
Date Wed, 21 Jul 2010 12:06:15 GMT
Hi all,

I'm planning to build a sample application that demonstrates a variety of means for distributing
Pivot applications. The sample will include an Ant script that generates the following:

1) A .war file containing the Pivot application deployed as an applet, using the standard
Ant <war> task.

2) A .zip file containing the application packaged as an executable JAR, using the standard
Ant <jar> and <zip> tasks.

3) An .exe file containing the application packaged as a Windows executable, using the BSD-licened
Launch4J Ant task:

  http://launch4j.sourceforge.net/index.html

I would also like to include an Ant target for the following:

4) A Mac OS X bundle for launching the application, packaged by the JarBundler Ant task:

  http://informagen.com/JarBundler/

However, JarBundler is GPL. I am wondering if it is OK for my Ant script to reference this
task. Based on what I have read (http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html), it seems like it
might be OK:

- The JarBundler libraries will not be stored in or distributed via ASF resources - the user
will have to obtain and install them manually.

- The OS X bundler task will be optional, and will clearly state that it relies on GPL-licensed
code.

Can someone please confirm/deny if my understanding is correct?

Thanks,
Greg