www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Gurkan Erdogdu <gurkanerdo...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: How do I really apply the AL 2.0 to my commercial work?
Date Wed, 12 May 2010 12:24:55 GMT
Hello;

See item 4

http://apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.txt

--Gurkan

________________________________
From: Steht im Schilf <stehtimschilf@hotmail.com>
To: legal-discuss@apache.org
Sent: Wed, May 12, 2010 1:29:58 PM
Subject: RE: How do I really apply the AL 2.0 to my commercial work?

Hi Hen

I think you missunderstood my question - im sorry for my bad english, though! Yes it's a question
of including PDFBox in our properietary software.

We don't want to relase an Open Source Project. But what we want to do, is to use the Apache
PDFBox Java PDF Library in our product (just the jar). So my question is, what we have to
do, that we my use this jar in our commercial product? Can we use this jar without any notes?
If not, where do we have to place the note?

short: current commercial product (you have to buy it) is free from open source projects.

Now we like to use PDFBox to generate pdfs with our product which still is a commercial product
(you have to buy it).
We don't want to go the open source way.

Because we are a start up, we don't have a laywer to ask but I think our problem is quite
simple for this discussion group.

Isn't it that easy just to mention in our license agreement:
"Parts of this product is based on Apache PDFBox." or
"This product includes Apache PDFBox. Apache PDFBox is licensed under AL 2.0 see http://www.apache.org/licenses/"

?

I mean, we are sure not the first who want to include an Open Source project in an commercial
work. So the legal process can't be that difficulte - i hope!

cheerioh & thx
Sven