www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Nathan Beyer <ndbe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: License Headers on forked Apache projects?
Date Sat, 10 Apr 2010 16:38:59 GMT
On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 10:49 AM, Daniel F. Savarese <dfs@savarese.org> wrote:

> In message <s2j2d12b2f01004082222xe8319566kc803bd60a0b4cc71@mail.gmail.com>, He
> nri Yandell writes:
>>You would keep the source exactly the same and have a NOTICE file that
>>reads something like (though it would depend on exactly what you
>>forked):
>>
>>********************************************************************
>><some name other than Commons Net>
>>Copyright 2010 Your Org
>>Copyright 2001-2010 The Apache Software Foundation
>>
>>This product includes software developed by
>>The Apache Software Foundation (http://www.apache.org/).
>>********************************************************************
>
> This highlights an inequity that has been perpetrated in the past.
> Even though counsel has advised on multiple occasions over the years
> that copyrights be retained, original copyright notices were routinely
> stripped when code entered the ASF prior to the advent of the Apache
> License 2.0, which provided a NOTICE file (whereupon copyright notices
> were still striped, but then recognized in the NOTICE file).  Therefore,
> when Commons Net entered the ASF "Copyright 1996-2001 Daniel F. Savarese"
> was not placed in the NOTICE file (because such a file did not exist);
> and when some instance of it now exits, the ASF copyright notice persists
> and all traces of the original copyright holder are erased.
>
> I know there has been some confusion and a lot of contradiction
> regarding a whole slew of policies and procedures at the ASF
> over the past decade coupled with poor dissemination of information
> to the committership (largely why I minimized my involvement
> and started developing new Apache Licensed software projects outside
> of the ASF).  So perhaps the stripping of my copyrights on Jakarta ORO
> and Commons Net was a result of there being an unclear policy then
> and a clearer policy since the advent of the Apache License 2.0 and the
> inception of the Incubator.  In any case, I address this issue only as
> a matter of principle.  When all projects were instructed to convert to the
> Apache License 2.0, I do not recall any instructions being provided to
> place a record of the original provenance of the code in the NOTICE file.
> Therefore, there are pre-AL 2.0 projects lurking about, such as Commons Net,
> which have no record of holder(s) of the copyright(s) on the original code.
> This doesn't seem equitable.

Since there is a practice of using NOTICE files now, have you
suggested patching those NOTICE files with the appropriate line items
based on the historical evidence? The individually release code
archives may not have the information, but it shouldn't be completely
lost. There should be record of the original copyright notices in the
SCM, either as individual files or the original contribution archives.

-Nathan