www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject hosting old svn releases on archive.apache.org
Date Mon, 26 Apr 2010 16:16:44 GMT
Hey all,

We are interested in hosting old svn releases (1.0 thru 1.6.current,
maybe pre-1.0 tarballs if we can find them) on the archive.apache.org
host. There are two salient points here:

1) the license is effectively Apache 1.1 (with a text replace of the
name), thus it matches the "no more restrictive than the Apache
license" mantra that we apply to non-ASF-produced dependencies

2) the "copyright owner"(*) is not the ASF

I believe it should be okay to host these tarballs (and signature
files and whatnot) on archive.apache.org. Historically, we have hosted
plenty of non-ASF software there and within the mirror system. As a
simple example, httpd has embedded a copy of PCRE for many years, and
somewhere in httpd or APR is a copy of Expat.

We do have a "dependencies" tarball that is typically produced, but
that has LGPL software (Neon) in there, among others. We do NOT
propose to host these dependency tarballs.

Thanks,
-g

(*) the true owner doesn't matter, and could be a debate in itself;
suffice it to say that the files don't say "Apache Software
Foundation" in them, but all the code *does* happen to be covered by
grants and CLAs to the ASF; it just hasn't been mass-relabeled for
historical preservation (and sigs!)