www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Jeremy Hughes <hugh...@apache.org>
Subject CDDL+GPL LICENSE file question
Date Wed, 28 Apr 2010 08:51:09 GMT
Hi,

In the Aries podling we're voting on the release candidate for our
first release. Some of the to-be-released artifacts including the
source-release.zip [1] include the persistence.xsd.rsrc and
persistence_2_0.xsd.rsrc files from Sun which are CDDL+GPL licensed
files. A question has been raised on the vote thread [2] as whether
the Aries LICENSE file should include the CDDL only or the CDDL and
the GPL. BTW: our NOTICE file indicates:

Aries JPA elects to include this software in this distribution under
the CDDL license.

We had been following what OpenJPA have done and included just the
CDDL license in the LICENSE file. Including the GPL would seem to be
misleading as nothing in the release is GPL licensed. But, the phrase
in the persistence.xsd.rsrc [3] file that indicates otherwise:

"When distributing the software, include this License Header
Notice in each file and include the License file at
glassfish/bootstrap/legal/LICENSE.txt."

That LICENSE.txt file can be found here [4] and includes both CDDL and GPL.

Could you please advise us which course we should take?

[1] https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachearies-009/org/apache/aries/jpa/jpa/0.1-incubating/jpa-0.1-incubating-source-release.zip
[2] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-aries-dev/201004.mbox/%3C3AB07336-B026-4ED2-A9D3-BB7F4AB27218@gmail.com%3E
[3] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/aries/trunk/jpa/jpa-container/src/main/resources/org/apache/aries/jpa/container/parsing/impl/persistence.xsd.rsrc
[4] https://glassfish.dev.java.net/source/browse/*checkout*/glassfish/bootstrap/legal/LICENSE.txt