www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How do I really apply the AL 2.0 to my commercial work?
Date Tue, 13 Apr 2010 18:20:57 GMT
Hi Sven,

If it's your first time releasing Open Source, I'd strongly suggest
you talk with your company lawyers on the subject. Your two business
goals sound like they're in conflict: "1) apply an Open Source
license" and "2) Don't allow further distribution".

If it's a question of including PDFBox in your proprietary software,
then the lawyers should be able to help you with the various terms of
the Apache license.

Hen

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 2:15 AM, Steht im Schilf
<stehtimschilf@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi legal discuss
>
> this is my first time I'm posting to a mail list (I didnt even found a way to search
the mailing list). So please appologize for running into some lapse. If I do, please let me
know, so I can avoid them for the next time.

> It's also my company's first time to implement GPL or similiar licensed software.
>
> Therefore my question: how do I really apply the AL 2.0 to our commercial product?
>
> Our product is not free, you are not allowed to distribute it, to freely download it
and so on.

> We like to use the PDFBox Project. But I fear IMHO that adding AL 2.0 to our software
will allow to anybody to distribute, copy, modifiy, etc..... which is of course not in our
interest.

> I tought of the following scenario to include the PDFBox Jar in our product:
> add a "\ext" folder in the installation folder, put .jar, license.txt, notice.txt in
that folder. Done.

> During the install wizard is a licence dialog (with our license, disclaimer, ...). Do
I have to modifiy our license text there? E.g. "This product contains PDFBox libraries of
the ASF. see \ext\license.txt" ???