www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <craig.russ...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: CDDL+GPL LICENSE file question
Date Wed, 28 Apr 2010 21:45:20 GMT
Here's my analysis.

The content of the https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/aries/trunk/jpa/jpa-container/src/main/resources/org/apache/aries/jpa/container/parsing/impl/persistence.xsd.rsrc

  file correctly includes the unchanged copyright/notice header.

The file that is included in the LICENSE incorrectly contains only the
CDDL license and not the CDDL+GPL license as the header stipulates.

The NOTICE file correctly states that this project chooses to license
the rsrc file under CDDL.

Craig

On Apr 28, 2010, at 1:51 AM, Jeremy Hughes wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In the Aries podling we're voting on the release candidate for our
> first release. Some of the to-be-released artifacts including the
> source-release.zip [1] include the persistence.xsd.rsrc and
> persistence_2_0.xsd.rsrc files from Sun which are CDDL+GPL licensed
> files. A question has been raised on the vote thread [2] as whether
> the Aries LICENSE file should include the CDDL only or the CDDL and
> the GPL. BTW: our NOTICE file indicates:
>
> Aries JPA elects to include this software in this distribution under
> the CDDL license.
>
> We had been following what OpenJPA have done and included just the
> CDDL license in the LICENSE file. Including the GPL would seem to be
> misleading as nothing in the release is GPL licensed. But, the phrase
> in the persistence.xsd.rsrc [3] file that indicates otherwise:
>
> "When distributing the software, include this License Header
> Notice in each file and include the License file at
> glassfish/bootstrap/legal/LICENSE.txt."
>
> That LICENSE.txt file can be found here [4] and includes both CDDL
> and GPL.
>
> Could you please advise us which course we should take?
>

> [1] https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachearies-009/org/apache/aries/jpa/jpa/0.1-incubating/jpa-0.1-incubating-source-release.zip
> [2] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-aries-dev/201004.mbox/%3C3AB07336-B026-4ED2-A9D3-BB7F4AB27218@gmail.com%3E
> [3] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/aries/trunk/jpa/jpa-container/src/main/resources/org/apache/aries/jpa/container/parsing/impl/persistence.xsd.rsrc
> [4] https://glassfish.dev.java.net/source/browse/*checkout*/glassfish/bootstrap/legal/LICENSE.txt