www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Daniel F. Savarese" <...@savarese.org>
Subject Re: Updating NOTICE files for previously AL 1.0 contributed code
Date Mon, 19 Apr 2010 05:48:33 GMT

In message <987F2603-B2E1-4F85-9596-49057E974514@gbiv.com>, "Roy T. Fielding" w
rites:
>How is that inconsistent and inequitable?  Every copyright owner that
>demands a notice is given one.  Most Apache developers do not want to
>be on the notice.

Based on the bulk of your reply, I believe you've misunderstood my
explanation of why I asked the question.  I'm sorry I didn't
explain myself better, but it's really quite irrelevant as you've
now answered my question twice.

>Your question was about having all the PMCs go back and re-insert
>copyright notices based on what they perceive as original owners.

To disambiguate, it was specifically about copyright notices in the
NOTICE file, not re-inserting copyright notices into source code.  And
I phrased my question poorly, because I didn't wish to know
if PMC's should insert copyright notices based on perceived original
owners.  What I originally had in mind was whether actual original
owners who contributed under AL 1.0 should be given the opportunity to
add a copyright notice to the NOTICE file now that the projects
are AL 2.0.  Your answer is:

>if any original copyright owner
>wants an appropriate notice placed in accordance with their own copyright,
>then the PMC should either do so or remove the code in question.

Please note, at no time did I intend to suggest that such contributors
should avail themselves of such an opportunity.  Case closed (i.e.,
please don't reply any further to this thread).

daniel