www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Daniel F. Savarese" <...@savarese.org>
Subject Updating NOTICE files for previously AL 1.0 contributed code
Date Mon, 12 Apr 2010 16:53:24 GMT

In message <q2w55afdc851004101954q21098f72k1dbb1aded0a25426@mail.gmail.com>, Ni
all Pemberton writes:
>Indeed there is:
>
>http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=3Drevision&revision=3D139272
>
>Also Daniel is on the Commons PMC and could fix this himself.

Certainly, if I knew this was proper (until now, I had been under
the impression it was not).  I did a poor job expressing myself.
I should have posed a question instead.  I'm not concerned with the
specific case of Commons Net (it just brought the issue back to my
attention and made a convenient example), but rather with the general
case of any code contributed to the ASF under the AL 1.0.

Should projects contributed to the ASF under the AL 1.0 which had their
copyright statements stripped and do not presently contain an original
copyright statement in the NOTICE file after conversion to the AL 2.0
have an original copyright statement restored to the NOTICE file?

If so (assuming there's a motivating legal reason), should PMC's be
asked to audit their projects to make sure that any such contributed
AL 1.0 code that slipped through the cracks during AL 2.0 conversion
have their NOTICE files updated properly?

thanks,
daniel