www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Daniel F. Savarese" <...@savarese.org>
Subject Re: License Headers on forked Apache projects?
Date Sat, 10 Apr 2010 15:49:18 GMT

In message <s2j2d12b2f01004082222xe8319566kc803bd60a0b4cc71@mail.gmail.com>, He
nri Yandell writes:
>You would keep the source exactly the same and have a NOTICE file that
>reads something like (though it would depend on exactly what you
><some name other than Commons Net>
>Copyright 2010 Your Org
>Copyright 2001-2010 The Apache Software Foundation
>This product includes software developed by
>The Apache Software Foundation (http://www.apache.org/).

This highlights an inequity that has been perpetrated in the past.
Even though counsel has advised on multiple occasions over the years
that copyrights be retained, original copyright notices were routinely
stripped when code entered the ASF prior to the advent of the Apache
License 2.0, which provided a NOTICE file (whereupon copyright notices
were still striped, but then recognized in the NOTICE file).  Therefore,
when Commons Net entered the ASF "Copyright 1996-2001 Daniel F. Savarese"
was not placed in the NOTICE file (because such a file did not exist);
and when some instance of it now exits, the ASF copyright notice persists
and all traces of the original copyright holder are erased.

I know there has been some confusion and a lot of contradiction
regarding a whole slew of policies and procedures at the ASF
over the past decade coupled with poor dissemination of information
to the committership (largely why I minimized my involvement
and started developing new Apache Licensed software projects outside
of the ASF).  So perhaps the stripping of my copyrights on Jakarta ORO
and Commons Net was a result of there being an unclear policy then
and a clearer policy since the advent of the Apache License 2.0 and the
inception of the Incubator.  In any case, I address this issue only as
a matter of principle.  When all projects were instructed to convert to the
Apache License 2.0, I do not recall any instructions being provided to
place a record of the original provenance of the code in the NOTICE file.
Therefore, there are pre-AL 2.0 projects lurking about, such as Commons Net,
which have no record of holder(s) of the copyright(s) on the original code.
This doesn't seem equitable.