www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Jeffrey Thompson <jt...@us.ibm.com>
Subject RE: updating the MPL and making it Apache compatible
Date Mon, 15 Mar 2010 15:41:07 GMT

"Lawrence Rosen" <lrosen@rosenlaw.com> wrote on 03/12/2010 08:57:43 PM:

> RE: updating the MPL and making it Apache compatible
>
> Hi Luis,

> I'm also sort of surprised that you believe there's an incompatibility
> between the Apache License 2.0 and the MPL. Apache is thrilled to have
its
> software incorporated into any larger works under any license anyone
wants.
> If we're compatible with proprietary licenses, why aren't we already
> compatible with the MPL?

> I believe that the Apache License 2.0 is already one-way compatible with
MPL
> 1.1, and I can't imagine what you would put in your new license that
would
> change that situation for the worse. I'll be watching, though, just in
case.
> ;)

Larry, Luis,

Do you think that there is an opportunity to get the MPL 2-way compatible
with the Apache license?

As I understand it, Apache projects occasionally want to include MPL
licensed software, and could include binaries under Category B of Apache's
Third Party Licensing Policy.  Binaries are normally the only form of
distribution because source code for MPL projects can only be distributed
under the MPL, whereas binaries can be distributed under different terms.
As the policy points out, limiting the distribution to binaries causes some
practical issues, especially for scripting languages, etc.

Under the weak copyleft principle, the source code must always be available
under the public license (in this case MPL).  It would be theoretically
possible to include in the next version of the MPL permission to distribute
either source or binary under different terms as long as the source code is
also available under the MPL itself.  The relevant question is whether that
would create too much of a problem for MPL projects.

> /Larry
>
> bcc: board@, and then dropping them from the cc's.
>

> Lawrence Rosen
> Rosenlaw & Einschlag, a technology law firm (www.rosenlaw.com)
> 3001 King Ranch Road, Ukiah, CA 95482
> Office: 707-485-1242    Cell: 707-478-8932
> Apache Software Foundation, member and counsel (www.apache.org)

Jeff

Counsel, IBM Corporation  (914)766-1757  (tie)8-826  (fax) -7164