www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Jennifer O'Neill" <jennifer...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: "All rights reserved"
Date Mon, 29 Mar 2010 00:33:17 GMT
I thought this issue rang a bell:
http://www.mail-archive.com/derby-dev@db.apache.org/msg00510.html

Bill is right that a copyright owner that has granted a license to use its
IP still reserves the rights inherent in ownership, as compared against a
party that has assigned its intellectual property rights in their
entirety to someone else.  The phrase "all rights reserved" represents that
concept, without changing those license rights.  As noted previously, it's
generally not necessary to repeat this phrase in the U.S. and most of North
America and South America, but it still has legal meaning in other
countries.  Any owners making worldwide distribution of their works are
better off retaining it, for the avoidance of doubt.

Cheers,

Jennifer