www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Luis Villa <lvi...@mozilla.com>
Subject Re: updating the MPL and making it Apache compatible
Date Mon, 15 Mar 2010 16:26:42 GMT
On 3/12/10 5:57 PM, Lawrence Rosen wrote:
> Hi Luis,
>
> I was pleased to learn of your project to update the MPL and delighted that
> you're trying for Apache License compatibility. This ASF legal-discuss@ list
> is fine for that discussion. In fact, why don't you just subscribe to this
> list, even if only temporarily, to follow any discussions we might have
> here? We have another internal list that ASF members can use for private
> legal discussions, but I can't think of anything involving the MPL that
> needs that treatment. I'm personally fine for this to be public.

Sounds good for now.

> I'm also sort of surprised that you believe there's an incompatibility
> between the Apache License 2.0 and the MPL. Apache is thrilled to have its
> software incorporated into any larger works under any license anyone wants.
> If we're compatible with proprietary licenses, why aren't we already
> compatible with the MPL?

Our analysis (conducted some years ago by an outside counsel who is
competent in this area, so I have not reviewed it thoroughly myself)
suggested that our patent peace provisions were different enough in
scope so as to cause difficulties in passing them on to third parties.

(In practice, the tri-license also causes us problems, but that is for
us to resolve ;)

> I believe that the Apache License 2.0 is already one-way compatible with MPL
> 1.1, and I can't imagine what you would put in your new license that would
> change that situation for the worse. I'll be watching, though, just in case.
> ;)

Great to hear; I'll keep legal-discuss updated as we progress.

Thanks-
Luis

--
Luis Villa, Mozilla Legal