www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Luis Villa <lvi...@mozilla.com>
Subject updating the MPL and making it Apache compatible
Date Fri, 12 Mar 2010 23:12:22 GMT
[apologies to board@ for sending this twice; resending with correct
legal address.]

Hi!

As some of you may have seen, this week we at Mozilla launched a process
to update and revise the MPL. The process is hosted at mpl.mozilla.org,
and we're generally seeking community feedback on the text of the
current license, problems people have had with it in the past, etc.

One of the specific things we're looking to explore is whether or not we
can become Apache-compatible, in the one-way sense that GPLv3 is also
Apache compatible. While we can't promise anything yet, obviously it
would be a win for our users if we could enlarge the pool of code that
MPL users can draw from, and as I understand it, Apache considers that
sort of thing a win as well.

I know the GPL v3 process did not go as smoothly as it could have from
the Apache perspective (Stefano Mazzochi bent my ear about it
repeatedly) and so we're looking to reach out early and often and see
what we can do to make the process smoother for both sides this time
around. We've already reached out to Jim before we went live, but now
that we're public, I'm happy to discuss it in public on legal-discuss (I
need to be cc'd; I'm not a list member), via any private groups apache
has for issues like this, or directly via email or phone.

We're still in pretty early phases, so I don't have specific text to
share or questions to ask. The one question I do have now, though, is
where to go when I do have those questions. Is legal-discuss the right
place or are there other people or channels I should go to?

Thanks in advance- I look forward to working with you-
Luis

--
Luis Villa, Mozilla Legal
work email: lvilla@mozilla.com (preferred)