www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From rwins...@apache.org
Subject Query RE: Forking
Date Tue, 23 Mar 2010 12:08:29 GMT
Hi all

I am the primary maintainer of commons-net. Summary: I am looking into forking the project
and doing future releases from somewhere else other than Apache Commons. There are a few reasons
for this: one of which is I would like to collaborate with developers external to Apache Commons,
one of which has done a tremendous amount of work that I would very much like to make use
of. I am also concerned about the dwindling activity around the Commons community, and the
general efficacy of Apache Commons per se. So with this in mind, I have the following questions:

* I am assuming (possibly naively) that a fork to another Apache 2-licensed project should
not be a problem, provided relevant attributions are made - is this correct?
* Obviously package names, etc. would need to change (this is a given) - are there any other
considerations that would need to be taken into account?
* It may be possible at some stage to do a "reverse fork" back into Apache - would CLAs be
needed from the main contributors if this is the case?

Regards
-- Rory