www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Definition of redistribution?
Date Wed, 10 Feb 2010 15:01:12 GMT
Hi,

I am wondering what exactly is the definition of "redistribution" in
the Apache License.

Scenario;
BigCo has many, many subsidiaries and hence many legal entities around
the world, but business units operate across such legal entities and
BUs are largely unknown to the general public. One business unit
prepares specialized versions of Apache projects, for use by all the
different teams who want to use them, and are used only in internal
projects delivered to the larger set of employees as backend services.
Does this constitutes "Redistribution" according to the License, and
that the requirements under section 4 must be followed, or is this
"use" without "redistribution" and section 4 does not come into play?

(I am no longer subscribed to this list, so please include my personal
mail when/if answering.)

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer