www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: [LEGAL-67] Who We Are, Legal Affairs
Date Sun, 21 Feb 2010 21:22:44 GMT
2010/2/21 Robert Burrell Donkin <rdonkin@apache.org>:
> Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>> On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 12:07 AM, Robert Burrell Donkin
>> <rdonkin@apache.org> wrote:
>>> i think it would be useful to have a fuller description of the legal
>>> affairs setup and who's who in it. i've attached a strawman to
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-67
>>>
>>> opinions?
>>> objections?
>>> improvements? (feel free to patch JIRA or just add them )
>>>
>>> if anyone thinks this is a bad idea or has any strong objections to the
>>> draft structure please jump as soon as possible.
>>>
>>> i've included space for optional bios. it seems appropriate and
>>> potentially useful to me but i don't feel slightly ambivalent. opinions?
>>
>> I do not see the value of publishing any of that information.
>
> AIUI most of this information should already published through the board
> minutes
>
> IMHO the workings of legal affairs are currently unnecessarily
> mysterious. so, creating a public document that describes the roles and
> responsibilities of the various players would be a useful:
>
> * codification exercise in itself
> * resource for projects
> * public explanation of process
>
> an outline linking names and roles seemed neutral place to start the
> discussion.
>
> but if no one sees any value in documenting this, then i've plenty of
> other stuff to keep me busy...

In my opinion it is important that this stuff is documented. Maybe
older Apache members already know the answers (even if I doubt they
all know the same answer), but Apache is getting bigger and bigger and
most committer don't know what services ASF provides to them, how and
who to ask.

In 2008 I opened "Document "Legal Affairs" and "Infrastructure"
committees " (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-29) because
I didn't know anything about the 2 committees... Unfortunately my
patch was very limited because of my limited knowledge. It would be
great if the docs could be extended.

Stefano