www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Definition of redistribution?
Date Wed, 10 Feb 2010 15:45:12 GMT
On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 4:21 PM, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 10:01 AM, Niclas Hedhman <niclas@hedhman.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am wondering what exactly is the definition of "redistribution" in
>> the Apache License.
>>
>> Scenario;
>> BigCo has many, many subsidiaries and hence many legal entities around
>> the world, but business units operate across such legal entities and
>> BUs are largely unknown to the general public. One business unit
>> prepares specialized versions of Apache projects, for use by all the
>> different teams who want to use them, and are used only in internal
>> projects delivered to the larger set of employees as backend services.
>> Does this constitutes "Redistribution" according to the License, and
>> that the requirements under section 4 must be followed, or is this
>> "use" without "redistribution" and section 4 does not come into play?
>
> The GPL FAQ on this question provides a good answer, one that we
> should simply adopt:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#InternalDistribution

So does the English legalese definition of "a company or other
organization" cover the case of multiple legal entities owned in whole
or in part by a holding company? As translated in Italian, where we
have very specific definitions for that, inclusive of different terms
for different percentages of ownership, it would not, which makes me
less than happy with the wording.

--
Gianugo