www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From EcoTort Theatre <ecot...@gn.apc.org>
Subject Re: FW: ALI Principles of the Law of Software Contracts
Date Sat, 20 Feb 2010 02:06:32 GMT

On 2/19/2010 6:23 PM, Lawrence Xxxxx wrote:

> I sent this to the ASF Board, but there's no reason whatsoever that it
> shouldn't get more widespread attention here at legal-discuss. Thanks
> to Craig Russell for suggesting that I send this more widely. /Xxxxx

EcoTort wrote:
I have taken it upon myself to send this out to my mailing list, as I
strongly believe in Open Source as a general philosophy for Life, The
Universe, and Everything.
For our collective Planetary Health and well-being we urgently need to
embrace the conducive practice of "power WITH eachother", rather than
abusive "power OVER eachother" . . .

http://www.ecotort.gn.apc.org/scandalous.htm

> Please accept my signature below, as Makenzie's Friend to your cause:

*Request to the American Law Institute Regarding Public Dissemination of
the Principles of the Law of Software Contracts*

We, the undersigned attorneys, represent clients involved in
transactions of all kinds relating to software.

We believe that clarity and certainty in the law reduces transaction
costs, promotes efficient resolution of disputes and supports job growth
and economic development. We believe, conversely, that lack of clarity
or certainty increases the cost of transactions, results in protracted
litigation and saps energy from innovation and job creation. In
particular, unsettling well-established expectations regarding standard
commercial practices in software licensing in the United States would
increase the likelihood and expense of litigation and decrease the
competitiveness of the U.S. software industry.

The Principles of the Law of Software Contracts diverge from well
established law (both statutory and decisions) as well as commercial
practices on a number of issues. We strongly believe that the unfair
surprise and uncertainty that would result from the application of the
Principles by any court that elects to observe them would be disruptive
to business both for licensors and licensees of software and decrease
confidence and respect for U.S. law in commercial transaction. The risk
that each court might diverge from mainstream law and practice to adopt
the Principles would result in higher business and litigation expenses
for U.S.-based software developers that would be passed in part to U.S.
businesses and consumers through higher license fees. This risk also
would in part be internalized by software developers, particularly small
businesses without the leverage to pass along the increased costs
through higher license fees, as an expense that would need to be offset
in other areas, such as R&D spending needed to keep pace with
innovation. For foreign corporations considering operations in the U.S.
(as well as those operating in the U.S.), the imposition of new laws
without review by legislatures will serve to confirm beliefs about the
increased costs of doing business in the U.S. because of the uncertainty
of legal principles and litigation risks. This approach will provide an
incentive to avoid doing business in the United States. Foreign
corporations considering enterprise-wide licenses of software from U.S.
companies will also be troubled by the uncertainty of contractual
license terms.

These concerns are made more serious by the lack of awareness of the
Principles by both licensors and licensees in the software industry. In
our experience virtually all in-house attorneys and outside counsel who
practice technology law on behalf of licensors and licensees, whom we
have contacted have no knowledge of their content or existence. The ALI
practice of making copies of the Principles available only to those who
visit the ALI website and pay a per copy fee prevents effective
dissemination of information or discussion regarding the Principles.
This approach poses particular problems for discussion of the Principles
on the Internet which is the most common approach for most legal
matters. We believe that it is also inconsistent with the Principles'
acknowledgement of the importance and value of transparency and
accessibility to information in their requirement that licensing
information be made "reasonably accessible electronically." (ยง2.02
Standard-Form Transfer of Generally Available Software; Enforcement of
the Standard Form.). We also believe that ALI's position prohibiting
copying of sections of the Principles for discussion and comment is not
consistent with this statement, or with the ALI's goals and fair use
under copyright law.

We applaud the ALI for undertaking this daunting task of articulating
the law underlying this ever changing industry. We appreciate the
significant amount of work that went into the resulting document. But we
believe that without an open dialog on its contents the Principles will
damage the U.S. software industry and will be of limited use in
effecting the orderly adoption of the changes in industry practices that
its drafters would like to see.

We therefore request that the ALI take affirmative steps to encourage
public comment and discussion by posting, or by granting the right to a
third parties to post, the Principles of the Law of Software Contracts
on a web site that is reasonably likely to facilitate balanced discourse
and broad dissemination of its contents and to permit third parties to
copy selections of the Principles to encourage dialog about them.

EcoTort Theatre Company. UK.

http://www.ecotort.gn.apc.org/

By:

Nicholas St Clare. (Director)