www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Miles Libbey <mlib...@apache.org>
Subject how to proceed with Incubator Traffic Server trademarks?
Date Tue, 02 Feb 2010 00:53:35 GMT
Hi folks-
Yahoo! currently owns the "Traffic Server" trademarks in two
jurisdictions. The registration in Australia and Norway are set to
expire at the end of May 2010 and March 2019 respectively.

The current plan is to let the Australian mark expire (just like we let
the Japanese and US marks expire in 2009).

However, Traffic Server is starting to plan its first official release
-- are these marks a release-stopper?  If so, how would you like to
proceed?  Yahoo could

- provide the ASF with a letter of assurance stating that we own all
right, title and interest in and to the TRAFFIC SERVER mark in Australia
and Norway and that we will not take any action against ASF or any of
its licensees during the life of these

- or formally assign all rights, title and interest in and to the
TRAFFIC SERVER mark for Australian/ Norwegian active registrations to
ASF (though we'd probably want to make this contingent on TS graduating
from the incubator).

Or something else?

If the trademark is not release-stopping, Our preference would be to
focus on the Norwegian mark to conserve resources.

thanks,
miles libbey