www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <aadamc...@apache.org>
Subject internalizing third-party deps
Date Wed, 03 Feb 2010 17:04:01 GMT
Hi folks,

What's our policy on internalizing third-party deps?

There's an Apache-licensed third-party library [1] that was developed
outside Apache and since then has been abandoned by its author. The
author has a CLA on file submitted to Apache, as he is a emeritus
committer. But this is more of a coincidence, as the ASF submission
wasn't the plan. The original distro [2] has both BSD and Apache 1.1
license inside the tar.gz.

Now I'd like to take some of that code and put it in Apache Cayenne
(changing package names and all), so that we (the Apache Cayenne PMC)
end up with fewer dependencies, and we only have to maintain the parts
of the code that we use.

My current plan is to simply take these parts, put them in Apache
Cayenne, and then make a mention in NOTICE.txt (which is actually
already there, as we've been using it as a third-party lib for ages).
Is that enough, or do we need a code grant from the author to
internalize it? (I think we don't as the code is BSD already)...

Comments?

Thanks,
Andrus

[1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/ashwood/files/ashwood/ashwood-1.1/ashwood-1.1-src.tar.gz/download