www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Lawrence Rosen" <lro...@rosenlaw.com>
Subject FW: ALI Principles of the Law of Software Contracts
Date Fri, 19 Feb 2010 18:23:46 GMT
I sent this to the ASF Board, but there's no reason whatsoever that it
shouldn't get more widespread attention here at legal-discuss. Thanks to
Craig Russell for suggesting that I send this more widely. /Larry

From: Lawrence Rosen [mailto:lrosen@rosenlaw.com]
Sent: Friday, February 19, 2010 9:58 AM
To: 'board@apache.org'
Subject: ALI Principles of the Law of Software Contracts

ASF Board:

I have already signed the attached petition on behalf of myself and my law
firm. I request your permission to sign it on behalf of the Apache Software
Foundation.

The American Law Institute's "Principles of the Law of Software Contracts"
is a disaster for open source. It is a model law being proposed by an
influential group of lawyers without sufficient care for our licenses or our
needs.

I'd prove it to you except the ALI document itself is being sold at $85/copy
under a license that doesn't permit my copying it for you. What nerve they
have!

I'm cooperating with attorneys at Linux Foundation, OSI,  Mozilla and
Canonical to petition ALI to release their document for free for review by
the constituencies that care about it. That's what this petition is for. It
isn't itself an opposition to the Principles; that will come next....

/Larry

P.S. If any of you wish to forward this petition to the attorneys for your
own companies, I wouldn't object.