www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Committer refuses to remove copyright notices in source (ESME-47), how best to solve?
Date Wed, 13 Jan 2010 14:28:47 GMT
On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 1:34 PM, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 1:51 AM, William A. Rowe Jr. <wrowe@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> The Copyright statement should not be changed to add an individuals'
>> name, but if we determine to preserve it it should be preserved,
>> verbatim.
>
> +1

Ok, but then shouldn't we add another copyright notice right after it,
to prevent people from thinking that *all* of the file is copyright
WorldWide Conferencing, LLC, and that that's the sole copyright
owner/licensee?

If you look at http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/esme/trunk/server/src/main/scala/org/apache/esme/model/UserAuth.scala
for example I'd suggest changing

/**
 * Copyright 2009 WorldWide Conferencing, LLC
 *
 * Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one...

/**
 * Copyright 2009 WorldWide Conferencing, LLC
 * Copyright 2009 Apache Software Foundation
 *
 * Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one...

Sorry if I'm nitpicking - the goal in all of this is to cope with the
original committer's reluctance to remove their notice, while not
scaring off downstream users of that code.

-Bertrand