www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Santiago Gala <santiago.g...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Does an email to committers constitute "written permission"?
Date Mon, 25 Jan 2010 09:18:39 GMT
IANAL

I would say that, in addition to this, the URL of the revision
performing the change could be sent later to the author, with suitable
text such as "as you authorised in email <id-and-subject> sent <when>
to <whom>, and according to standard ASF policies on source file
headers, we have proceeded to move the copyright notices from <those>
files to the NOTICE file in the distribution. You can see the action
in the following revision: <url>. Thank for your contribution "

As moving the notices is a reversible action I think we would be safe
from the point of view of diligence. This will further ensure that we
are not misrepresenting him.

Regards
Santiago