www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Jennifer O'Neill" <jennifer...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Artistic licenses
Date Fri, 29 Jan 2010 23:43:01 GMT
I found the following in the README for the DKIM library at the CPAN site:

COPYRIGHT AND LICENCE

Copyright (C) 2006-2009 by Messiah College

This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
it under the same terms as Perl itself, either Perl version 5.8.6 or,
at your option, any later version of Perl 5 you may have available.

Is this the same notice you're referencing, or did you find something else?
If this is the sole notice, then I don't think the issue is whether Artistic
is Category A or B, but whether the library can be redistributed under the
ASL.  This notice says that you can "redistribute it under the same terms as
Perl itself," not that the library is subject to the Perl license.  With
this wording, I think the library can be redistributed only under the same
dual licensing structure (GPL/Artistic) as Perl.

Also, if the email messages and other data are part of the library
distribution, I would view them as subject to the same terms as the modules.

Jennifer