www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Karl Wright <kwri...@metacarta.com>
Subject Re: Question we need to answer to complete Lucene Connector Framework software grant
Date Sun, 31 Jan 2010 19:24:04 GMT
Henri Yandell wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 9:53 AM, Karl Wright <kwright@metacarta.com> wrote:
>
>>Henri Yandell wrote:

>>>Is the file the output of using the MS tool?
>>>
>>>Hen
>>>

>>The Permissions.wsdl (from SharePoint) seems to be the output of disco.exe.
>>The MCPermissionswsdl.aspx is constructed as follows:
>>(1) Generate a wsdl using disco.exe
>>(2) Turn that into an .aspx file that generates the wsdl, on request to the
>>web service.
>>
>>So there was hand editing involved in making it be generated by an .aspx,
>>but otherwise the answer to your question is "yes".
>>
>>The engineer who did this work says that he followed the appropriate
>>Microsoft development recommendations for web service development.
>

> What's the input to disco.exe?
>
> i.e. why (for example) does "GetPermissionCollectionResponse" show in
> both, instead of MCPermissionswsdl.aspx having
> "GetSomeKindaPermThing"?
>
> Hen

As I stated in the original message, the MCPermissions web service was constructed precisely
extend the original Permissions web service.  The extension in question takes place within
the
GetPermssionCollection method, which in SharePoint is only capable of returning permissions
for
"Library" and "Site" objects.  We extended it to also understand how to get permissions for
"Folder"
and "Item" objects.  The underlying functionality in question was added in SharePoint 2007,
but
Microsoft never updated their web services to support the new functionality.  So, we did.

As such, the method in question was consciously designed to be a direct replacement of the
same
method found in the original permissions web service.

Thanks,
Karl