www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Committer refuses to remove copyright notices in source (ESME-47), how best to solve?
Date Wed, 13 Jan 2010 06:51:13 GMT
On 1/13/2010 12:10 AM, Henri Yandell wrote:

> I also think the 'file he touched' is valuable though not tied to the
> text. Explains what's so special about David and WorldWide
> Conferencing (i.e. not a community player).

But the Copyright statement and NOTICE is neither for advertising nor
for punishing community-unfriendly, territorial behavior.

The Copyright statement should not be changed to add an individuals'
name, but if we determine to preserve it it should be preserved,
verbatim.  It can and should be moved to NOTICE.  All of the other
proposed commentary is of no benefit to the end user, the community
nor the contributor.  Please observe KISS and state nothing other
than what is _necessary_ within NOTICE or in any file notations.