www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Committer refuses to remove copyright notices in source (ESME-47), how best to solve?
Date Tue, 12 Jan 2010 04:01:39 GMT
Daniel Kulp wrote:
> On Mon January 11 2010 6:19:53 pm Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 1:38 PM, Gianugo Rabellino <gianugo@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>> he's got a leg to stand (he signed the CLA to the best of my
>>> knowledge), I still would content that if it wasn't his intention to
>>> donate his code (better: license his copyright) to Apache, we might
>>> want to take his wish into consideration.
>> Even if he signed the ICLA and now says that he doesn't want us to use
>> his contributions, then I feel that we should endeavor to remove his
>> code.  We're not in the business of incorporating code from
>> non-voluntary contributions.  -- justin
>
> In his resignation, he wrote:
>
> ---------------
> My resignation in no way abrogates any rights in the copywritten
> materials that I have licensed to the ASF under my CLA.
> ---------------
>
> So I don't think this is an issue.

And more to the point - the AL is very specific on this point, let's just not
go down this path?

   2. Grant of Copyright License. Subject to the terms and conditions of
      this License, each Contributor hereby grants to You a perpetual,
      worldwide, non-exclusive, no-charge, royalty-free, irrevocable
      copyright license to reproduce, prepare Derivative Works of,
      publicly display, publicly perform, sublicense, and distribute the
      Work and such Derivative Works in Source or Object form.

Irrevocable means something very specific.  After months of contributions,
with no apparent confusion about what the license meant, I'm disappointed
this would even be brought up.  Words still mean something, I hope.  The
precedence would be really maddening to me as a project chair, and I would
probably go to extreme measures, such as revoke many beer IOU's, if someone
set such a precedent.