www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <hyand...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Wikipedia pseudocode
Date Wed, 20 Jan 2010 06:46:57 GMT
I disagree with Dirk on the point of CC-by-SA being equivalent with
Apache License 2.0. The Attribution
licenses sure, but SA is Share-Alike and more akin to CDDL/MPL - plus
it's very focused on "literary or artistic works" which makes reading
it a bit hard from a software point of view.

However I agree with Dirk on his 3rd point (though I wouldn't use the
word fudge :) ). Reading pseudo-code in Wikipedia is akin to reading
pseudo-code in a book. It's knowledge the book is imparting and
recreation is the intent. Equally this concerns implementing a spec
(and not one with dodgy licensing at that) and I suspect from looking
at the Wikipedia page that sane implementations are all generally
going to look that way.

My 2c.

Hen