www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <hyand...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Committer refuses to remove copyright notices in source (ESME-47), how best to solve?
Date Tue, 12 Jan 2010 07:34:52 GMT
On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 2:34 AM, dhague@fortybeans.com
<dhague@fortybeans.com> wrote:
> Let's start by looking at the actual purpose of the ASF policy in question.
> It's not a legal requirement (it doesn't affect the code license), so my
> guess is that the policy is there to give comfort to sublicensees of the
> code, in the sense that they may be scared off by explicit (albeit accurate)
> 3rd party copyright notices.

It also makes it easier to spot the unintended pieces of code.
Copyright statements tend to stand out and it would, imo, be a lot
harder for an accidental piece of code with its copyright statement to
leak into an ASF project. If we all start littering the code with
copyright statements then we won't see the important contribution for
the noise.

> Perhaps it would be a good idea to add to the copyright notice, so that the
> files would read thus:
> /**
>  * Copyright 2008-2009 WorldWide Conferencing, LLC (covers contributions
> from David Pollak only)
>  *
>  * Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one
>  * or more contributor license agreements. See the NOTICE file
>  * distributed with this work for additional information
> <etc>
> Could that work?

+1, though I would suggest a slightly changed piece of text:

 * Copyright 2008-2009 WorldWide Conferencing, LLC (under David Pollak's CLA)

When searching through source and finding the statement, we'd be very
clearly saying (for anyone who knows the acronym) that we're covered.
Plus it's a little less text-wise.

I'd also have something in the NOTICE file:

"This product contains software developed by David Pollak and licensed
to the Apache Software Foundation via a Contributor's License
Agreement. David insisted on his copyright statement being on each
file he touched. "

Hen