www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Committer refuses to remove copyright notices in source (ESME-47), how best to solve?
Date Mon, 11 Jan 2010 16:31:47 GMT
On Mon January 11 2010 3:46:14 am Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 9:39 AM, Jochen Wiedmann
> > Beg your pardon, but why is the committer the "copyright owner"? My
> > understanding is that sources can only enter the incubator after
> > assignment of copyrights to the ASF, at which point the ASF is, at
> > least, *a* copyright owner with the right to perform arbitrary
> > modifications?
>
> No - as per http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt ("2. Grant of
> Copyright License") which is what committers sign, they only grant a
> copyright license to the ASF, but all committers keep copyright
> ownership of their contributions.

On a related note to solve my own curiosity.....

If committers retain the copyrights to everything they commit, then, in
theory, everything in svn is copyright the committers working on it and not
the ASF.   Thus, why does our NOTICE file have:

Copyright 2006-2010 The Apache Software Foundation

Is that for the "collective work" (aka: the distribution)?   Even that would
be built and such on my machine and signed with my personal keys and such.

Most just to satisfy my own curiosity.   Might as well try and learn something
new today.    :-)

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org