www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Lawrence Rosen" <lro...@rosenlaw.com>
Subject RE: Committer refuses to remove copyright notices in source (ESME-47), how best to solve?
Date Mon, 11 Jan 2010 18:59:00 GMT
Joe Schaefer wrote:
> It is trivial to get "who-contributed-what" information from
> subversion.

That is great. But I note that "who contributed" isn't necessarily the same
as "who claimed ownership of the copyright."

> The only thing collecting that additional information in the NOTICE file
> would provide is more redundant overhead for downstream repackagers to
> carry along with our releases.

And that hurts the downstream repackagers in what ways? We don't charge per
byte.

> If that means more work for third party attorneys come
> enforcement time, them's the breaks.

I suppose that, as a paid attorney, I shouldn't worry about more work. As a
potential client, you should be.

/Larry