www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: mx4j jar including javax.management... classes; activemq jar containing javax.management and javax.jms... classes - license question
Date Thu, 03 Dec 2009 08:58:18 GMT

On Dec 2, 2009, at 11:46 PM, Paul Libbrecht wrote:

> I'm sorry Craig,
>
> I still do not understand.
> Do you mean the Geronimo team or the MX4j team would have
> (re-)written the classes (mostly java interfaces) in the package
> javax.* and shipped them along?

That is what the geronimo team did.  When geronimo started the spec
jars from sun were not available under a license compatible with the
apache license.

> Isn't this really confusing according to the expectation (at least
> mine) that package naming defines origin?

Confusion is relative.  It doesn't confuse me.
The specifications came from the JCP and were certainly heavily
influenced by sun, but as has been pointed out earlier in this thread
the spec license specifically allows independent implementation.
AFAICT your argument would mean that harmony could not exist.

> This is striking compared to W3C specs which do include properly
> licensed method names.
What?  This statement does confuse me.  Who are the method names
licensed from?  What is proper about the license?

david jencks