www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: ASF Board Meeting Summary - December 16, 2009
Date Thu, 17 Dec 2009 21:59:10 GMT
On Dec 17, 2009, at 12:49 PM, Greg Brown wrote:

>> Important to emphasize this. The issue raised on the call was not
>> trademark but brand. This entire thread is noise :)
>
> I apologize for the "noise".  :-)  But the notes from the board meeting suggested that
we work with both branding and legal to resolve any potential conflict:

Hi folks.  There seems to be some misunderstanding of how we work around
here.  The legal discuss list is for public discussion of licensing issues
related to use of Apache projects.  The brand management list is for the
new VP to organize and promote Apache brands.  The legal internal list is
for discussion with Apache's lawyer.  The dev lists are for public
technical development of our projects.

In other words, please don't ask *here* for advice from Apache's lawyers.

Larry has (and I presume will continue to do so) refused to hold strategy
discussions regarding our legal options on a public list.  That's because
of the way courts and privileged information works.  Please don't be
alarmed by that refusal.  He is absolutely right (trust me).

If you want to have a discussion about legal strategy, the procedure is
to have that discussion on legal-internal and CC your project's private
list.

Thank you for you concern,

....Roy