www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Paul Libbrecht <p...@activemath.org>
Subject Re: mx4j jar including javax.management... classes; activemq jar containing javax.management and javax.jms... classes - license question
Date Wed, 02 Dec 2009 21:09:30 GMT
Le 02-déc.-09 à 20:19, Mark Thomas a écrit :
> In summary:
> - use of mx4j is not an issue for any ASF project
> - that gfact that a project implements a JSR does not require any
> entries in a project's LICENSE or NOTICE file

I feel this summary is only true as long as the distribution does not
include any specification classes which is, I thought, the issue we're
discussing and not at all the redistribution of the reference
implementation.

I've seen many tomcats distribute servlet.jar. That's ok if it is
properly explained that servlet.jar is from another source and is
distributed with another license. I've seen this broken many times.

Claiming the mx4j.jar was covered by APL is, I believe we all agree,
the wrong and disputed thing. Or? And the Apache projects that use it,
as I understand, should not distribute a jar that is wrongly licensed
and should split.

paul