www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Bruce Snyder <bruce.sny...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: mx4j jar including javax.management... classes; activemq jar containing javax.management and javax.jms... classes - license question
Date Tue, 01 Dec 2009 19:28:40 GMT
On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 10:33 AM, Marshall Schor <msa@schor.com> wrote:
> The mx4j jar (used in many apache projects, including tomcat, geronimo,
> ActiveMQ) claims to be licensed under an apache style license (see:
> http://mx4j.sourceforge.net/docs/ch01s06.html ) .
>
> If you unzip the jar file, you find it has, in addition to mx4j classes,
> javax.management... classes that appear to be from the j2ee java
> distribution.
>
> Is it OK to distribute these javax... classes with this license?
>
> ActiveMQ's main jar,apache-activemq-4.1.1.jar, for instance, includes
> javax.management... and javax.jms.... classes.  We are redistributing
> this main jar, as well as mx4j, as part of our project (uima-as), and
> are trying to get the proper license for this.

AFAIK, all of the javax... classes are implementations provided by the
either the MX4J project or the Geronimo specs project
(https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/specs/). All the MX4J spec
implementations utilize an Apache style license (see your link above)
and the Geronimo spec implementations utilize the Apache License 2.0.

Bruce
);'

Blog: http://bruceblog.org/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/brucesnyder