www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ASF Board Meeting Summary - December 16, 2009
Date Thu, 17 Dec 2009 15:31:45 GMT
Apparently, Microsoft applied for a trademark on "Pivot" at the end of
October. That effectively puts the project on a collision course.
Legal can more definitively provide thoughts on this (for example,
maybe being strict about using "Apache Pivot" can steer us clear).

It was also mentioned during the meeting that approaching Microsoft is
an option, to see whether they will take issue with our use of
"Pivot". They may also say there is no problem with "Apache Pivot",
but that they'll get huffy if there is ever a bare reference to
"Pivot".

Cheers,
-g