www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: ASF Board Meeting Summary - December 16, 2009
Date Thu, 17 Dec 2009 19:37:14 GMT
On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 11:24 AM, Greg Brown <gkbrown@mac.com> wrote:
> In all seriousness, what, if anything, should we be doing about this? Do we need to change
the project name? Are there other options? This is obviously a big deal for us because any
re-branding is going to take time and is likely to hold up any announcements about our recent
graduation.

I would suggest following the advice of counsel (Larry) as a first step.

If an alternative name comes to mind easily to the community, now is a
great time to re-brand.  If it doesn't, then go ahead with the
migration and announcement as Apache Pivot.  (You can view a later
rename as another opportunity for publicity!)  At this point, the
Pivot app by Microsoft is only a trademark application - not a
definitive registration.  However, Roy's point during the Board
meeting yesterday was that Microsoft marketing is going to extensively
promote "Microsoft Pivot" and relegate "Apache Pivot" to the
netherworlds in the Google indexes...  -- justin