www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: mx4j jar including javax.management... classes; activemq jar containing javax.management and javax.jms... classes - license question
Date Tue, 01 Dec 2009 18:03:13 GMT
Marshall Schor wrote:
> The mx4j jar (used in many apache projects, including tomcat, geronimo,
> ActiveMQ) claims to be licensed under an apache style license (see:
> http://mx4j.sourceforge.net/docs/ch01s06.html ) .
>
> If you unzip the jar file, you find it has, in addition to mx4j classes,
> javax.management... classes that appear to be from the j2ee java
> distribution.

No, they are not from any other J2EE distribution.

The nice thing about open source is that you can look at the source
code. A quick peek shows that these classes have been implemented by the
mx4j team. This is something they are required to do in order to provide
a compliant JSR003 and JSR160 implementation.

Tomcat does something similar for the JSP and Servlet APIs, Geronimo
does it for all the J2EE APIs, etc

> Is it OK to distribute these javax... classes with this license?

Yes.

> ActiveMQ's main jar,apache-activemq-4.1.1.jar, for instance, includes
> javax.management... and javax.jms.... classes.

Again, as it is required to do in order to implement the spec. As long
as the source for those classes was developed by the ActiveMQ team (or
obtained under an appropriate license) - which I am sure it would have
been - then there is no issue.

What would not be OK, for example, would be copying the implementation
of any classes from the JBoss source tree.

>  We are redistributing
> this main jar, as well as mx4j, as part of our project (uima-as), and
> are trying to get the proper license for this.

As long as you provide the proper entries in the LICENSE and NOTICE file
then you will be fine. That is the only thing you need to worry about
for those libraries.

Mark