www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject mx4j jar including javax.management... classes; activemq jar containing javax.management and javax.jms... classes - license question
Date Tue, 01 Dec 2009 17:33:15 GMT
The mx4j jar (used in many apache projects, including tomcat, geronimo,
ActiveMQ) claims to be licensed under an apache style license (see:
http://mx4j.sourceforge.net/docs/ch01s06.html ) .

If you unzip the jar file, you find it has, in addition to mx4j classes,
javax.management... classes that appear to be from the j2ee java
distribution.

Is it OK to distribute these javax... classes with this license?

ActiveMQ's main jar,apache-activemq-4.1.1.jar, for instance, includes
javax.management... and javax.jms.... classes.  We are redistributing
this main jar, as well as mx4j, as part of our project (uima-as), and
are trying to get the proper license for this.

-Marshall Schor (UIMA Committer)