www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Todd Volkert <tvolk...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ASF Board Meeting Summary - December 16, 2009
Date Thu, 17 Dec 2009 18:49:50 GMT
Just talked to a trademark lawyer friend of mine, and he emphasized that you
can't trademark a common word in the English language (like "Pivot") - you
can trademark a sequence of words, like "Microsoft Pivot", a graphic, a
jingle, etc.  So what exactly did MS trademark -- "Microsoft Pivot"?  If so,
then I'd think we're in the clear to use "Apache Pivot"...

-T