www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Lawrence Rosen" <lro...@rosenlaw.com>
Subject RE: ASF Board Meeting Summary - December 16, 2009
Date Thu, 17 Dec 2009 19:58:14 GMT
Here's what I wrote earlier this morning:

Shane Curcuru asked:

> - What are the risks in allowing the Apache Pivot project in keeping

> their name?

This is not the right question to discuss off the legal-internal list
without explicit attorney-client privilege.

However, there is nothing stopping us from writing to Microsoft to say:

   We note that you have filed in the USPTO to register a trademark

   on "PIVOT" (serial number 77859890). Please be aware that Apache

   Software Foundation has been using the trademark PIVOT for our

   own software. See http://incubator.apache.org/pivot/.

Precede this with an appropriate greeting and add a gracious closing. I
would then leave it up to Microsoft's own attorneys to answer your question
for themselves.

I recommend that such a letter come from me as your attorney directly to the
deputy general counsel of Microsoft (whom I know personally, and since I
don't know the name of the head of their trademark department who reports to
him). I'm sure it will not cause a ruckus, merely careful rethinking of
their trademark application. Another thing it will do is to make Microsoft
attorneys more aware that ASF is a powerhouse of trademarked software.

Is that what you want?

/Larry