www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Lawrence Rosen" <lro...@rosenlaw.com>
Subject RE: ASF Board Meeting Summary - December 16, 2009
Date Thu, 17 Dec 2009 19:02:46 GMT
WTF?

ASF already has a trademark attorney. Me. Please tell your trademark lawyer
friend to mind his own business. Say it politely. I'm sure his opinion
wasn't meant to contradict mine-but it does.

Did you or he write that absurd opinion on an Apple (TM) computer. Using
Windows (TM)?

/Larry

From: Todd Volkert [mailto:tvolkert@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 17, 2009 10:50 AM
To: legal-discuss@apache.org
Cc: trademarks@apache.org
Subject: Re: ASF Board Meeting Summary - December 16, 2009

Just talked to a trademark lawyer friend of mine, and he emphasized that you
can't trademark a common word in the English language (like "Pivot") - you
can trademark a sequence of words, like "Microsoft Pivot", a graphic, a
jingle, etc.  So what exactly did MS trademark -- "Microsoft Pivot"?  If so,
then I'd think we're in the clear to use "Apache Pivot"...

-T