www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Vikas Reddy <reddy.vi...@gmail.com>
Subject Using Apache 2.0 license in iPhone applications
Date Thu, 01 Oct 2009 19:25:53 GMT
Hi, this is my first time using a mailing list so apologies in advance if I
commit any mailing list faux pas - please let me know if I have.

Our company is currently using Apache 2.0 licensed code in our iPhone
application which is distributed as a compiled binary - no source code. The
Apache 2.0 license states that
"You may reproduce and distribute copies of the Work or Derivative Works
thereof in any medium, with or without modifications, and in Source or
Object form, provided that You meet the following conditions:
1. You must give any other recipients of the Work or Derivative Works a copy
of this License;"

*For an iPhone application, what constitutes giving the recipients a copy of
the work? *On the iPhone and many other mobile platforms, users have no
direct access to the file system. In our application we have an info screen
that has an attribution link that takes users to a webpage describing our
use of the Apache 2.0 licensed code. This seems to fit better with the
spirit of the license since otherwise users would have no way to see the
license file. Is this the right approach with our application? Or can we
simply include a text file. I came across one discussion that had some
relevant information, but it didn't really answer my question:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/200908.mbox/%3C4FFA9271-8BF6-4CBC-AD47-263C201DBC68@gmail.com%3E.
One option, as suggested in this linked thread, is to add attribution
the iTunes description.

Also, we are licensing (for money) a compiled library (no source code) that
we created that uses an Apache 2.0 licensed library (with some modification
by us) as an independent module. *How should other companies that license
our library include an attribution?* Is it sufficient for companies that
license our library to attribute us in some way, and then we will attribute
the Apache 2.0 licensed library on our own site?

Thanks for your help!
Vikas